7.17.2010

WIND, SCOOPS, GRASS, & MORE HORSES

Today I am down with a head cold, so I'm working on proposals and updating my blog. We have had amazing sunny weather this week but the wind is back with a vengeance. Yesterday as I pushed my way up the street, calves screaming and water streaming out of my eyes, I thought to myself, "Who in their right mind would settle here in this wind vortex?" The first information about a settlement at Skagaströnd comes from the 10th century, when Þordis the Prophetess lived here at Spákonufel mountain. She must have been tough. More info about the town can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skagaströnd

I admire the initiative the town has taken to improve and grow with the downfall of the fishing factories. The NES Artist Residency and the BioPol Marine Research Center are both recent investments for the town.

Yesterday on a walk, Jared and I stopped to check out the horses and take weird pictures in the scoops that attach to the bulldozers. Jared shot this white fluffy sour grass. It feels almost like wool. Peter, an artist here from Germany, is incorporating this grass into a cape that he is making for a performance art piece; I'll have to post images of his piece soon.