7.07.2010

WILD HORSES, KANTRYBAER & MIDNIGHT SUN

Yesterday was wildly windy (and lots of fun). People here dry their clothes on lines, and I marveled that they must have clothespins with death grips. I felt like a dandelion that would blow away at any moment.

My Canadian friend Jared and I braved the wind to shoot photos of a scrapyard and then saw a large group of horses in a field nearby. Suddenly they stopped, stared at us, and began walking towards us. For a moment we questioned the possibility that death could be eminent. But we decided to see what would happen...and alas, we were not trampled or eaten...they slowly surrounded us and nudged us gently. One liked the taste of Jared's leather jacket and a foal tried to eat my sweater. They were beautiful and it was an amazing moment.

In the evening we had a pot luck at NES and met a lot of local friendly folks from Skagastrond. Afterwards, the stragglers went to Kantrybaer (which means Country bar), owned by Hallbjon Hjartason, the"Icelandic Cowboy" with a strong love for American country and western music. Horseshoes, ten gallon hats, and general cowboy kitsch abounds there. On the way home I shot some images of the midnight sun...just lovely.

Oh, and in between, I did manage to get some painting done. : )

Kantrybaer